All Natural Sunscreen
The sun is a double edged sword. On the one hand it gives us Vitamin D which our body needs in order to stay healthy and cancer free. On the other hand too much sun and skin cancer can occur. The key is really to stay out of the sun during the hottest part of the day, and if you are going to be out in it wear protective clothing/hats.
Most sunscreens sold commercial contain harmful cancer causing chemicals, and so do not necessarily protect you in the way you imagine. We need regular sun to get adequate Vitamin D, and so even wearing natural sunscreen should not be done constantly. However, it is a much safer way to prevent burning if you are going to be out and exposed for a long period.
- ½-3/4 cup almond or olive oil
- ¼ cup coconut oil (natural SPF 4)
- ¼ cup beeswax – this makes it waterproof
- 2 Tablespoons Zinc Oxide Be careful not to inhale the powder.
- Optional: up to 1 teaspoon Red Raspberry Seed Oil
- Optional: up to 1 teaspoon Vitamin E oil
- Optional: 2 tablespoons Shea Butter (natural SPF 4-5)
- Optional: Essential Oils, do not use lemon or orange though.
Put all ingredients except for the Zinc Oxide and the Raspberry seed oil and essential oils into a small glass jar. Put the jar in a saucepan filled with a few inches of water. Bring the water to a boil and simmer allowing the contents of the jar to melt and mix together.
Remove from the heat and add in Zinc Oxide (note, for a higher SPF you can add more), raspberry seed oil and essential oils. Pour into glass or plastic containers and allow to cool.