My Weight Loss Journey
August 4th – At our last weigh in Sandy was down to 275 1bs – lower than she has ever been in her adult life! We will keep you posted of her progress as we continue on this amazing and inspirational journey!
Picture below at heaviest 388 1bs Picture below down to 315 1b Recently taken at 285 1bs
“While watching the January 2013 Football playoffs, I realized that I weighed more than every single NFL Player on every team. In fact, I outweighed even the Line Backers and Blockers by 60 or 70 pounds. When I finally got to an “honest” scale, I was at 388 pounds – 12 pounds from weighing 400 pounds!
That’s when I decided I had to do something immediately to get my weight under control and at least down to the mid-200’s.
I first started by eliminating butter and all things (except veggies) that I used butter on. I lost 30 pound my first month. Then I started eating more fresh and steamed vegetables and fresh fruit. I also started walking around my apartment complex. Within ten months I was down 80 pounds. During the next six months, I had lost 110 pounds. I felt great.
Then the holidays hit and I gained back 20 pounds. For the next year I managed to gain and lose that 20 pounds four times. So I signed up for a swimming membership at Somerset Swim and Fitnes in Nashua. In a year I went 6 times. Then it came time to renew my membership. This time I started swimming 3 times a week.
Then I made the smartest decision of my life, I started working out in the pool with Janine Myers twice a week for an hour each time. She taught me how to do exercise in the water correctly. I was able to firm up my legs, arms and core.
But even with all the help, during holidays and vacations, I would gain back 20 or 30 pounds. So I said enough and in mid-April this year, I started doing floor exercise at Janine’s studio. I’m pleased to say that I have lost those miserable extra pounds, and I’m back to my 100 pound lost and still dropping!
I work-out with Janine 3-4 hours a week, doing a variety of exercise and stretching and water aerobics. Following is a list of things I can do today that I could not do 3 years ago.
Head to Toe changes, I can now:
- Turn my head so my chin is over either shoulder
- Raise both arms straight up so my shoulders are even with my ears
- Rotate both arms in full wide circles front to back (I can swim over-hand for the first time in 20 years)
- Stretch my arm over my head and touch my fingers to the middle of my shoulder blades
- Reach my arm behind my back and touch the middle of my back
- Reach behind my back grasping left wrist with right hand
- Bend down and touch my toes (and place hands flat on floor)
- Get down and up from the floor easily without using furniture to get up
- Laying flat on floor, raise leg straight up and hold it there
- Do sit-ups, straight legged with someone holding my feet
- Do a 30-second plank
- Do squats without groaning and knees popping
- Sit down and get up from couch and chairs without using armrest
- Get in and out of my car (a Honda FIT) without leaning or using the door as a brace
- Can stand up to get dressed (I have always had to sit on my bed to put on pants, socks and shoes), now I can balance on one foot to put on pants. And I can bend over to tie my shoes
- I can stand in my kitchen and work without having to stop every 10 minutes to sit down and rest my back
- I can walk 3 miles in 55 minutes without resting, I can also walk 5 miles in 1.5 hours
- I swim laps in the pool for 1 hour without stopping then do 2 hours of water aerobics
Every day I am finding more and more things I can do that I have not been able to do in years. I have so much more energy and I walk briskly with my shoulders back, head up and with confidence in myself that I can accomplish anything I set my mind to do.
That is the greatest thing I have gained in working with Janine. I have confidence in my ability to take on new challenges and know that I can do it. I am so lucky I met Janine and started working with her. She has given me back my confidence and my love for life.
In December this year I will turn 68 years old. I am in the best physical and mental shape of my life. I only have another 120 pounds to lose, and I know with Janine’s guidance and help, I’ll get to my healthy weight and have all the energy I need to enjoy my life.”